Baitcaster rods have been in use since the late 1930s and have continued to be popular ever since, so it’s no surprise that there are so many models available on the market today. Whether you’re a fishing enthusiast or someone who just wants to learn how to fish, there are certain characteristics that you need to look out for in the best baitcasting rods before you make your purchase.
These include materials used in making the rod, the design of the rod, its weight, action, and length, as well as how much it costs.
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website.
Learn more about our Amazon affiliate program
Table of Contents
Best Baitcasting Fishing Rods
In this best baitcaster rods review, we go through some of the best casting fishing rods available. If you’re in the market for top rods, here are some of the best options to consider:
1. KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rod
- SOLOSCOPIC PERFORMANCE TECHNOLOGY – KastKing KastFlex Toray 24-Ton Carbon Matrix blank and solid glass tip section deliver unmatched durability, sensitivity and performance. One-piece performance in a six-piece telescopic rod design. Multiple floating line guides improve casting performance, deliver a consistent and smooth taper and eliminate flat or dead spots in the blank. Snug-Fit ferrules provide full length power transition and allow these rods to perform and feel like a 1pc rod.
- MULTIPURPOSE – The KastKing BlackHawk II travel fishing rod is available in 14 lengths and actions in travel spinning rod and casting rod models. You’ll find the perfect spinning fishing rod or baitcasting rod for almost any fresh or saltwater fishing situation whether your trout fishing, bass fishing, kayak fishing or even as a n inshore fishing rod for saltwater fishing from the bank or boat. KastKing travel rods feature amazing design and perfect balance.
- CONVENIENT- Besides the obvious advantage of easy travel over the traditional 1 & 2 pc fishing rods, they save valuable fishing time because you can leave the reel on the rod, line through the guides and fully rigged. Simply open the bail with line through the guides and hook attached, extend the rod to its working length and you’ll be fishing again in seconds without re-rigging. Telescopic rods are portable, convenient, and easy-to-carry. Travel anywhere with your Blackhawk II travel rod.
- SUPERIOR QUALITY – Only high-quality components including stainless steel line guides, graphite reel seats and comfortable EVA handles are used in the construction of the new and improved, KastKing BlackHawk II telescopic rods. The entire series of spinning rods and casting fishing rods makes a great travel fishing pole or back-up telescopic fishing pole.
- QUICK ASSEMBLY – Extending the rod starts at the tip section! As shown in the video, extend each section while aligning the guides one section at a time. Simply extend the tip section until it stops, align the guides to the tip top guide and repeat with all sections. To collapse the telescopic fishing rod to its travel rod length, start at the bottom of the rod and collapse each section with a simple twist as you work your way to the tip of the fishing rod.
Both the spinning and casting versions of the KastKing Blackhawk II rod are among the finest available. The rod’s feather-like weight and composite construction make it ideal for fishermen on the move. Even better, it’s a bargain!
In terms of quality and ease, Blackhawk II is the best. Lengths range from 6’6″ to 8′, with powers ranging from medium-light to medium-heavy. Depending on your chosen technique, you may also select either spinning or casting rods.
When it comes to a middle-of-the-road pick for bass and trout fisherman, the medium-power rod is an excellent option. An EVA grip, strengthened reel seats, and a hook catcher are all included in the design of this fishing rod.
You get the best of both worlds with these rods, which are fashioned from a graphite/fiberglass combination. KastKing fishing rods have a unique blend of strength, flexibility, and sensitivity that sets them apart from other collapsible fishing poles. Keep in mind that the guides may also need to be adjusted sometimes.
2. St. Croix Mojo Bass Casting Rod
There’s no doubt that St. Croix is on its way to becoming a renowned brand in the fishing industry, and its rods have already earned quite a reputation. Their Mojo Bass Casting rod won’t let you down, particularly considering how affordable it is.
The 7’4″ Mojo baitcasting rod has substantial power and rapid action that we suggest. The blank of this hefty St. Croix rod is stiff, as is typical of St. Croix rods, and we found that to be the case. The Mojo’s sensitive, rapid tip allows you to detect light strikes, handle a wide range of lures, and yet have the strength you need to manage a large fish. A few more guides would be a good addition to Mojo’s roster, but the quality of the guides is superb. In most cases, you won’t notice, but if you hook a very large muskie, you may!
For the blank, ST Croix uses their SC-II graphite, which is used in all of their top rod lines. The split cork handle is both comfortable and visually appealing. There could be room for improvement, but it’s all down to personal taste. With the Mojo Bass, you’ll be able to cast bigger jigs and lures with ease, while still having the control and precision you need for precise flipping.
The user gets the best of both worlds with one rod, making it a genuinely versatile piece of equipment. Even though you’ll probably only get to use this baitcasting rod once throughout the season, it’s still a superb all-rounder. There aren’t many rods that can provide enough casting power while yet being light enough for easy and comfortable angling.
3. Lew’s Custom Lite HM85 Casting Rod
Lew’s Custom Lite rod is the pinnacle of fishing technology. The rod’s blanks are made of top-grade graphite with an 85 million modulus, which provides the ideal balance of strength and sensitivity in a lightweight design. For added durability, the blanks are multi-layered. Titanium oxide guide inserts ensure that the line flows smoothly.
Lew’s patented SoftTouch skeleton reel seats are completely flat to avoid rubbing fishermen’s fingertips and palms. Polymer Winn split grips on the rod handles give the best possible control and comfort in any weather. The Lew’s Casting Rods are available in a variety of actions and styles. Taper designs tailored to various actions include a gradually softer tip to increase sensitivity and aid in the detection of small bites.
The newly redesigned APT graphite high-grade 85-million modulus blanks (found in the top tier of Lew’s Speed Stick line) are lightweight and responsive, allowing for the fastest, most direct transmission of sensitivity. The multi-layer design ensures optimal endurance in the most critical areas. They are able to detect even the tiniest nibble, yet robust enough to withstand the most brutal combat. Titanium oxide guides provide optimal line flow and casting performance.
Lew’s SoftTouch skeleton bait caster reel seats link directly to the blank for superior sensitivity transmission and are corrosion-resistant to withstand unclean circumstances. If you’re searching for a rod that can be used for a variety of techniques, this one is the way to go. You can fish all day with these rods.
4. Ugly Stik GX2 Casting Fishing Rod
The UglyStik GX2 Casting Rod is next. This rod is constructed from a graphite and fiberglass composite, which makes it incredibly robust, lightweight, and responsive. The guides are constructed of sturdy stainless steel, while the grips are constructed of durable EVA.
There are several purchase alternatives available for this rod, based on the desired action, length, weight, as well as the number of parts required by the fisherman. The rod is available in 5’6″, 6’0″, 6’6″, or 7’6″ lengths. Weights range from medium-light to heavy, depending on the length of the rod. Additionally, if those alternatives aren’t sufficient, the rod may be constructed in a single solid piece or in two sections for storage and transport.
The UglyStik GX2 casting rod has many ordering options that anglers of all skill levels will be able to select one that suits their fishing preferences. Its graphite and fiberglass construction ensures consistent strength and exceptional sensitivity.
While the guides may need some maintenance and may require repairs, they are covered by the company’s 7-year guarantee. Anglers should also check that they order the rod in the weight they wish and that it is acceptable for their requirements since the rod does throw somewhat heavier than promised.
5. Abu Garcia Vengeance Fishing Rod
Abu Garcia is a well-established name in the fishing industry, producing some of the finest reels available, but they provide a variety of good rods too.
The Vengeance is a member of Abu Garcia’s “V-Series” and is normally priced in the “pricey budget” level. Abu Garcia’s Vengeance is Veritas 2.0’s younger sibling. At nearly half the price, you get a lot of rod for your money, which makes it an excellent pick if you’re on a budget.
A well-balanced rod with a rather rapid action that’s ideal for situations requiring a little extra sensitivity at the tip. If you want to use it with somewhat bigger lures or giant lipped crankbaits, you may need to go for a longer length.
In addition to being lightweight, the Spiral Carbon Core Construction boosts the rod’s break strength in a significant manner. Besides being well-balanced owing to its Titanium alloy guides with SiC inserts, this rod also features a Micro click reel seat hood design to achieve a better reel fit, as well as high-density EVA in construction. As one of the best baitcasting rods, the Abu Garcia Vengeance is also extremely durable thanks to the use of High-Density EVA.
6. KastKing Crixus Fishing Rod
- KastFlex IM6 Graphite Blanks – Fish like a gladiator! KastKing Crixus casting rods and spinning rods deliver incredible performance at a budget price. With KastFlex technology, these powerful and sensitive IM6 Graphite rods range in power from a light weight rod to heavy in 5’ to 7’6” lengths. These incredible all-around rods are perfect for any species in freshwater and you’ll also find them perfect as a saltwater fishing rod.
- Golf Style SuperPolymer Handle – SuperPolymer handles are comfortable, durable and exceptionally slip resistant giving you maximum control over your fishing rod in all conditions. These performance handles are normally only found on fishing rods costing much more, but KastKing uses them on all Crixus spinning rods and baitcasting rods to make these the best value of any fishing pole available today. Crixus fishing rods feature a split rear handle design and are finished with a EVA fighting butt.
- Stainless Steel Guides w/Zirconium Oxide Rings – As an angler you know that quality components make the fishing rod. KastKing uses only high-quality stainless-steel guide frames with Zirconium Oxide rings that deliver long, smooth casts and durable performance with fluorocarbon, monofilament or braided fishing line. You’ll get exceptional performance from your new Crixus fishing rod with KastKing Made in the USA KastPro braid.
- 20 Different Models – KastKing Crixus fishing rods are available in 20 different power, action, and length combinations. There is a Crixus fishing rod that is perfect for bass fishing, walleye fishing, trout fishing, catfish, and so much more. There are several perfect Crixus models for inshore saltwater fishing. All Crixus fishing rods are constructed in 2-pcs for easy transport and storage. With PTS (Power Transition System) technology, they’ll feel just as good as 1-pcs rods.
- Performance That You Can Count On – The new KastKing Crixus fishing rods are designed with performance in mind and loaded with features normally only found on rods costing much more. Crixus is not an old-fashioned fishing pole. Each fishing rod is exceptionally light-weight due to the graphite construction but has plenty of power to handle your best catch. You’ll be proud to own these KastKing fishing rods and to fish with peace of mind.
The KastKing Crixus rod exemplifies why the firm has grown in popularity among fishermen worldwide since its beginning in 2011. As with many KastKing fishing rods, Crixus provides fishermen of all skill levels with a high-quality rod but without the prohibitive price tag of high-end rods in today’s market. For the price, this fishing rod performs well! The KastKing Crixus is made of IM6 graphite, which is sturdy and durable while yet maintaining a high degree of sensitivity.
Graphite rods come in a range of strengths. They are, however, often designated by the letters IM6, IM7, and IM8. Additionally, the Crixus is equipped with IM6 graphite, which is also the lightest and most sensitive graphite blank material available. Unlike many other companies that charge much more for quality rods made of IM6, KastKing seems to sell the Crixus for a fraction of the price charged by rival manufacturers.
The rods are versatile too, enabling anglers to use them in both freshwater and saltwater. Thanks to the super polymer material used to construct the handles, they are both pleasant and slip-resistant. This offers you the ability to better manipulate the rod.
Typically, these characteristics are reserved for more costly rods. The handle design of Crixus fishing rods is referred to as a split rear, and the rods are finished with an EVA combat butt. It supports a total of twenty distinct configurations, letting you choose the optimal angle and setting for you.
7. Berkley Shock Casting Rod
Berkley Shock casting rod’s ability to combine sensitivity and strength in a single rod is well-known. Furthermore, it displays incredible lightness and quickness.
Designed specifically for braided lines, this casting rod has shown its worth in every fishing condition. Various softening functions are provided by this rod. Because of this, it’s furnished with unique rings composed of polished aluminum oxide, which increases strength while also decreasing friction.
Furthermore, the placement of the rings is specifically designed to be closer to the rod’s body, allowing for longer and more precise casts to be achieved.
Additionally, this fact helps to prevent the chance of the occurrence of processes such as tangling and twisting of braids from occurring.
8. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Rod
- 【Feature Material】The Piscifun Torrent baitcaster rod is crafted with high strength IM6 Carbon, creating a well-balanced yet powerful rod for your fishing needs. This rod series features sensitivity, accuracy, and strength.
- 【Sensitive】The Tip is design for extra strength and added sensitivity, it allows you to detect even the lightest bites as you work your lure, this will allow you to perfectly time your hook set and catch more fish. We offer rods that cover actions like moderate fast, and fast action.
- 【Lightweight】The lightweight design feels balanced in your hand and helps improve your range of movement – keeping fatigue to a minimum. The EVA grip offers all day comfort and durability.
- 【High-quality Guide】Stainless steel guides with Titanium inserts eliminate insert pop-outs and keep line slippage to a minimum, this also helps avoid line sticking inside the guides, it can be used with all types of line, including braided fishing line.
- 【Versatility】The Torrent bait casting series in incredibly versatile and can be used for bass, walleye, northern pike, catfish, as well as some inshore Saltwater Species like Snook, Trout, Redfish and more.
The Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Rod completes our list of the best baitcasting rods. It’s a two-piece, 6’6″ rapid action casting rod constructed of graphite and fiberglass. It’s one of the good baitcasting rods you can find on the market today.
Piscifun is a relatively young manufacturing company focused on providing inexpensive, high-quality fishing gear to the worldwide market. Their brand tagline, “Go with Family,” is a deliberate attempt to guarantee that all of their clients may purchase things for the whole family without breaking the bank. The Torrent Baitcasting Rod is one of their best-known items. If you’re searching for a reasonably priced but high-quality reel, this should certainly be on your shortlist.
The rod’s tip section has exceptional sensitivity for precise hook settings. It features stainless steel guides with zirconium inlays and high-grade EVA handles. Buyers may choose between a medium and a medium-heavy weight choice.
The Piscifun Torrent rod is built for strength and toughness when it comes to huge, hard-fighting fish. The structure is robust, and the junction connecting the two sections isn’t weak either. You’ll appreciate the rod’s ability to throw a broad array of lures and baits as a result of its robustness. The rod does seem lighter and more pliable than one would think – however, this doesn’t impair its strength or performance.
How to Choose the Best Baitcasting Rods
Choosing one of the best baitcasting fishing rods isn’t easy if you don’t know what to look for. There are many factors that make up a great pole, so let’s take a look at each of them in more detail.
The first thing to think about is what kind of fish you will be catching. What body of water are you fishing in? A different pole might be needed depending on your answer to these questions.
Some of the key points to consider include the following:
The term “power” refers to the amount of force necessary to bend a rod. Along with its motion, a rod’s power indicates a great deal about its performance.
As a consequence, there are few ultralight or light power casting rods available, and we suggest beginning your search with a medium. There are several possibilities ranging from modest to hefty.
7′ or so is approximately where we’d start looking in a standard rod. While shorter rods may be more precise for casting, each additional inch provides the blank with more length to play its strength. The rods we’ve reviewed above range in length from 7’0″ to 7’4″.
Weight of the Line and Lure
Fishing heavy lines and lures with baitcasting reel-powered rods is the primary use of these rods. We’ve included the weights for nylon monofilament, but you can run considerably heavier braid with the same diameters.
A casting rod’s guide quality is critical since they are meant for serious fighting. Due to the fact that they assist your rod and line in withstanding the strain of a large fish, this isn’t a factor to compromise on.
Additionally, you want as many as possible. Because each one contributes to the distribution of friction and force, having more guides results in less stress on each one.
The materials used to construct modern fishing rods include carbon fiber, graphite, and fiberglass. Some are constructed from composite materials, incorporating many materials into the blank that serves as their backbone.
- Graphite is very strong, rigid, and light. Thanks to the high rigidity, it’s also highly sensitive, making it an excellent, long-lasting rod material.
- Fiberglass is often more costly than graphite and heavier than graphite. While it’s not as sensitive or as rigid as steel, it may be quite powerful, giving it a position in your fishing armory. This isn’t always a disadvantage for crappie, since cushioned hooksets are optimal.
- Carbon fiber rod blanks are the toughest, strongest, lightest, and perhaps most costly material available. While its performance is unmatched, so is its pricing!
Much of the choice concerning which handle to use is subjective, and what’s comfortable for us may be agony for you. Cork and EVA foam are the two most common handle materials.
Cork is warm and more appealing, but it is less forgiving of hard usage. EVA foam is soft and colder to the touch, but it is very durable.
The rods we’ve discussed above are excellent all-arounders, and they’re all excellent options if you’re looking for the greatest all-around casting rod.
There may be better selections for particular methods like dropshotting, jigging, or crankbaiting, but these are suggestions for broad approaches rather than specific techniques. However, for the best performance in baitcasting, we highly recommend the KastKing Blackhawk II Telescopic Fishing Rod.
They are available in a wide range of sizes, made of robust composite structure, and perform excellently in baitcasting fishing.