Looking for the best cordless drill for ice auger to make the most of your day on the ice? Ice fisherman have a wide variety of different types of drills to choose from. The options range from budget-friendly to high-end and everything in between.
It really depends on what you want to prioritize between accuracy, speed, and the like as well as how much you’re willing to spend. An ice auger drill is a must-have tool. For years I tried the handheld drill. Cranking and cranking that piece of steel by hand is a terrible job. I don’t recommend it…especially in the high mountains of Colorado! It’s a heart attack waiting to happen!
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website.
Learn more about our Amazon affiliate program
Table of Contents
Why buy a power drill for an ice auger?
A cordless battery ice auger drill makes life much easier and is particularly efficient and easy to work with no matter what your skill level is. Hook up your auger and drill attachment and pull the trigger. No sweating, no cursing, and no throwing out that old shoulder injury…again!
Here is the list of drills that we recommend. We have used several of them and generally they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The truth of the matter is, the differences can be fairly small, but those small differences may be a big deal to you.
Best Ice Auger Drill Attachment
You’ll be glad to know that we did a lot of research for this one and even took these models for a test drive to make sure that each one deserves to be considered for this list.
1. DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit
- DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor of DEWALT 20V hammer drill delivers up to 75% more runtime vs. 18V NiCad brushed motors
- XR Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge of the cordless hammer drill provide 33% more capacity over standard packs
- Heavy-duty 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than previous model
- LED Spotlight Mode features 20 minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces
The DEWALT 20V deserves to be called one of the best cordless drills and is the best DEWALT drill for ice augers.
It’s one of the fastest models on this list with three operating modes to choose from, including drill, hammer, and driver. We’ve already touched on what each of these modes offers so we won’t go through it again but we can say that this drill kit is incredibly accurate.
It only weighs 10 pounds and measures 11 inches. It even comes with a 360-degree side which is important to have to keep your wrist from injury if the auger happens to catch. The Dewalt also comes with an LED light with three different lighting modes so you can customize your ability to properly see while using this in the dark or in low light conditions of your ice shed.
Not only is this drill for ice fishing safe and easy to use but you can operate it on 18V and 20V voltage options depending on how hard you want it to go. It all depends on the specific work setting but it can go up to 2000 RPMs.
2. Makita XPH11RB Hammer Driver-Drill Kit
- Compact and ergonomic design at only 6-15/16″ Long
- Weighs only 2.9 lbs. With battery for reduced operator fatigue
- Ideal for working in tight spaces
- Mechanical variable 2-speed transmission (0-500 & 0-1, 700 RPM) (0-7, 500 & 0-25, 500 BPM) for a wide range of drilling, fastening and hammer drilling applications
- Dual L.E.D. Lights illuminate the work area
Next, we have the Makita drill which is one of the most unique options on this list, with its ergonomic and thoughtful design that’s made to prevent your hand from getting tired while using it. Not only that but this drill is also designed to reduce shoulder, neck, and back tension due to prolonged use.
But what really makes it the best cordless drill for your ice auger is the fact that although it’s 16 inches long, it only weighs 3 pounds making it ideal for those hard-to-reach spots. Otherwise, it’s a versatile kit with a power potential of up to 1,700 RPMs and you can depend on it to drill accurately thanks to its 350 pounds/inch of torque.
The manufacturer also considered low light conditions when designing this drill, as it comes with two LED lights located at the front for easy access and use.
You’ll also be glad to know that this ice auger drill attachment is waterproof and resistant to corrosion, it comes with a plastic tool case and a charger to recharge the included 18 V batteries. All in all, it’s a complete kit that you can’t go wrong with.
3. Ryobi P1813 One+ 18V Cordless Hammer Drill
- P251 HAMMER DRILL: This cordless 18v power drill can be adjusted up to 750 inch pounds of torque with the 24 position clutch. You can also tear through several different materials, from wood to masonry to plastic, with the 3-position speed adjustment knob
- MAGNETIC BIT HOLDER: Near the base of the hammer drill is a platform where you can keep bits and fasteners secured to the drill. This way, you can replace bits without having to walk away from your job to your toolbag for different jobs
- P108 BATTERY: This 4 amp hour battery is one of the largest in Ryobi’s lineup. It has an onboard fuel gauge that lets you know how much power is left, It can also work in extreme temperatures, functioning in as low a temperature as 14 degrees Fahrenheit (-10 degrees Celsius)
- P117 BATTERY CHARGER: This charger can fully power 2 amp hour batteries in as little as 30 minutes. It can tackle the rest of the batteries in Ryobi’s 18v One+ lineup. Compatible models include the P100, P!02, P103, P104, P105, P107, and P108
- CONTRACTOR’S BAG: You can keep your hammer drill, charger, and other accessories tucked away in this lime green bag. It has a sturdy zipper on top that will keep this sealed the way you need
Here we have the Ryobi P1813, a cordless drill that’s incredibly easy to use, even for beginners. It’s powered by an 18V lithium-ion battery which has a lifespan of 4 hours. That’s more than enough for you to enjoy your ice-angling adventures uninterrupted.
It comes with an adjustment knob with three modes for ease of use and you get to choose from standard drill mode which allows you to open holes on ice, plastic, wood, and metal while hammer mode helps you open holes on really thick slabs on ice, masonry, and concrete, and drive mode is particularly designed to drive screws and bolts.
You’ll also be glad to know that this drill has a length of 8 inches and is super lightweight at 3 pounds so you know it won’t take up too much space in your gear pack. Should the battery run out, there’s an included charger that will get it up and running again within 30 minutes of juicing up. It also offers 23,000 BPMs and 18,000 RPMs with a torque of 750 pound/inch.
Close to the drill base is a magnetic holder which makes it easier for you to attach bits and fasteners to the drill.
4. Skil 20V 1/2 Inch Cordless Drill Driver
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO GET STARTED – Cordless drill set comes with a PWR CORE 20 2. 0Ah Lithium Battery and 20V Charger.
- THE GO-TO DIY DRILL – This cordless drill is the perfect tool for everyday needs like tightening screws drilling into surfaces and more.
- LONGER RUN TIME & BATTERY LIFE – The PWR CORE 20 Lithium Battery has an innovative temperature management system to keep the battery cool and powering on through your project.
- EASY BIT CHANGES – 1/2 inch keyless chuck allows for quick bit changes.
- HIGH LOW SPEED CONTROL – Get more torque with the low speed setting, or get the job done fast with the high speed setting.
This Skil is the best cordless drill for ice auger if you’re shopping on a budget. It costs less than $100 but offers great value for money.
It has a 20V motor and can reach a speed of up to 1450 RPM.
It also operates on a 2.0 Ah battery which is very effective at keeping this going for a couple of hours and it even comes with a charger that is able to juice it up within an hour.
All told, this is a great budget-friendly cordless drill adapter that’s definitely worth it.
5. Metabo HPT Cordless Driver Drill Kit
- POWER: Powerful 400 In./lbs of torque to handle tough jobs in tight spaces
- TWO SPEED: Two-speed gear setting to match the appropriate speed to the application
- SETTINGS: 22+1 Stage clutch delivers 22 torque settings and a drill mode for ultimate precision and control
- TRIGGER: Responsive variable speed trigger provides complete control during operation
- KEYLESS CHUCK: 1/2 In. keyless chuck for quick and simple bit replacements
Metabo HPT hammer drill is one of the most reliable options you’ll find out there.
It’s actually a HITACHI model so that already tells you all that you need to know about its quality and performance.
It’s powered by two lithium-ion batteries and comes with a carrying case for portability with a drilling power of up to 400 inches per lb. But what really sets this hammer apart is the fact that it features a keyless chuck for easy replacement.
The drill itself is backed by a lifetime lithium-ion tool warranty while the batteries have a 2-year warranty only. Other notable features of this cordless drill include a drill mode and a 22 torque setting.
6. PORTER-CABLE 20V MAX Cordless Drill
- Brushless motor of Porter Cable 20V drill provides 50% more runtime
- Powerful motor on Porter Camble tools has 370 MWO of power for heavy duty applications with minimal stall
- 1/2-inch ratcheting chuck of the power tool combo kit is made for improved and reliable bit retention
- Transmission has 1,800 MAX RPM for speed of drilling & fastening applications
- Compact size of 7.4 inch for work in tight spaces
Next in our search for the best cordless drill for ice fishing we have the Porter-Cable PCCK607LB 20V Max.
It’s a middle-of-the-range option that comes with all the features that you’d expect.
This drill will get you through the whole winter without a hitch. It’s powered by a 20V motor with an RPM of up to 1800. Of course, it doesn’t hurt that it comes with two 1.5 Ah batteries as well.
7. CRAFTSMAN V20 Cordless Drill/Driver Kit
- Part of the V20 cordless system
- Brushless motors provide up to 25% more runtime and improved durability
- 1/2in. Cordless drill/driver with brushless motor produces 350 unit watts out for completing a variety of heavy jobsite applications
- 2speed gearbox with speeds of 0600/01, 900 for speed of fastening
- 1/2in. Ratcheting chuck provides improved bit retention
This is another budget-friendly option that comes with all the features you need to enjoy a productive ice-angling trip.
This drill offers great value for money and comes with features such as 900 RPM maximum speed, two 1.5 Ah batteries which are rechargeable within 60 minutes using the included charger.
The entire thing runs on a powerful 20V motor which makes it the best ice auger for cordless drill.
8. Hitachi DS18DGL Compact Drill Driver Kit
- Powerful 400 in/lbs of turning torque to handle tough jobs in tight spaces
- Powered by Lithium Ion battery technology for less weight and fade-free power
- LED job light effectively illuminates dark work spaces
- Two-speed gear setting to match the appropriate speed to the application
- 22+1 stage clutch delivers 22 torque settings and a drill mode for ultimate precision and control
Hitachi has a reputation for making powerful products and they don’t disappoint with this drill driver kit.
It’s ergonomically designed to handle a versatile number of tasks and even heavy-duty applications. It features a carrying case, a charger for the two included 18V batteries, and a Phillips driver bit with two sides.
There are two different gear settings for speed to choose from depending on what you’re working on and to prove how powerful it is, it comes with a peak torque of 400 pound/inch for optimal precision.
Also included in the package is an LED light which helps to keep you working well into the night. All of this for just less than 4 pounds of cordless drill and yet it offers up to 1,250 RPMs.
How to Buy the Best Cordless Drill for Ice Auger
So, if you made it this far then you know what your options are when it comes to the best cordless drill for ice augers.
But, if you really want to find the optimal option for your trip, then you need to know what to look for and that’s exactly what we’re going to cover next.
The first thing to consider when shopping for a cordless drill for auger is how easy it is to carry because you don’t want it to take up too much space.
Ideally, it should also have certain features that promote portability, such as a tools pack or a kit which many of the options on our list have.
What’s the best way to determine how powerful a cordless drill is and why brushless drill for ice auger in your case?
Consider the following:
Torque refers to the drill’s power with the best options generally providing about 750 lbs/inch for a cordless drill.
This refers to the rotations per minute that the best ice fishing drill can make with the best speed being 750 RPMs.
Blows per minute is basically a measure of the hammer’s action and a really good hammer drill for ice auger should be able to produce up to 25,000 BPMs.
When it comes to weight, it’s important to consider your experience level and how familiar you are with drills as this will determine how easy and comfortable it is for you.
Considering the varying properties of ice, it’s worth it to ensure that your drill can operate at varying speeds as well.
If you ask us, using cordless drill for ice auger means it should have 2-speed transmissions at least or even 3 for good measure.
As with anything you want to make sure that your drill can be utilized for different applications.
The best drill to use for an ice auger can usually drill into ice as well as wood, steel, and masonry which makes them useful all year round.
Another important feature to consider is the drill’s chuck size with your options being the ones mentioned previously.
The most important thing to ensure here is that your auger’s chuck size is the same as that of the drill.
Since this guide was all about the best cordless drills, most of them feature lithium-ion batteries which are powerful, quick to charge, durable, and easy to use.
Most great cordless drills are backed by a 5-year warranty which is pretty generous and telling of the manufacturer’s confidence in the product.
This is important because you want to be sure that your drill is made to last.
How to Convert a Drill Into an Ice Auger
You’ll be glad to know that anyone can convert a drill into an ice auger. Simply start by connecting a hand auger using an ice auger drill adapter, a drilling machine, and a high-quality blade.
These tools will help you to loosen the nut in order to detach the handle from the ice auger. It’s important to do this gently as applying a lot of pressure to it can lead to blade damage.
Your next step is to place the ice auger drill adapter in the blade and then affix the wing nut into place. One end of the adapter will be open in order to fit any drill machine that you place in it.
And then to use the drill, simply switch it on and start cutting! Make sure you wear ice fishing gloves also.
If we were to pick just one option as the best cordless drill for ice auger, it would be the DEWALT 20V MAX XR Hammer Drill Kit.
What makes this drill kit great is the fact that it comes with 3 different operating modes, a toolbox, charger, and batteries as well as an LED light with 3 different lighting modes.
Basically, it’s jam-packed with all the features you’d need to make the most out of your ice-angling trips.