Are you tired of relying on spinning reels that aren’t actually reliable or don’t even perform at all? Any true angler knows the fact that having the right bait isn’t enough for a memorable fishing experience. You’ll need the best spinning reel under 100 too.
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website.
Learn more about our Amazon affiliate program
Table of Contents
Best Value Spinning Reel
In this article, we’ll review the highest quality spinning reels available right now that are also budget and pocket-friendly.
1. PENN Battle Spinning Fishing Reel
This ultralight spinning fishing reel is number one on the list as it offers the best value.
It comes with a design capable of withstanding a good amount of mistreatment and punishment, plus it’s extremely versatile as it varies in model and size to suit everything from the smallest panfish to massive groupers on saltwater.
It’s rated and constructed to be suitable for both salt and freshwater applications. It also has incredible carbon fiber drag, as well as a metal reel body processed with the highest manufacturing standards. It’s very easy and simple to maintain and, if necessary, the replacement parts are very easy to obtain.
Lastly, PENN is known to provide excellent customer service should you have questions or concerns regarding your purchase. If you want a reliable workforce as a spinning reel, there’s certainly no better choice.
- 2020 ICAST ONLINE BEST OF CATEGORY WINNER “SALTWATER REEL”: The PENN Battle III Inshore spinning reel is stronger, smoother, and more durable than ever before.
- DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The body and sideplates of the PENN Battle III Spinning Reel are made with sturdy all-aluminum composition, featuring a forged and machined aluminum spool with Line Capacity Rings.
- CNC GEAR TECHNOLOGY: Recovers at the rate of 30” | 76cm with every turn of the crank. Gear ratio of 6.2:1. Equipped with superline spool to securely attach braided line. Mono Capacity yd/lb: 240/4 180/6 125/8. Braid Capacity 210/8 180/10 165/15.
- 6 TOTAL BEARINGS: The Battle III features 5 stainless steel ball bearings plus 1 instant anti-reverse bearing to provide smooth operation for any saltwater fishing experience.
- HT-100 FRONT DRAG DRAG SYSTEM: Built with carbon fiber washers for a max drag of 10lb | 4.5kg, this system will handle large fish without wearing you down. Right/Left handle position.
2. Shimano Sedona FI
There are so many reasons why a lot of seasoned anglers also consider Shimano Sedona FI as the best spinning reel under 100. First, it has a cross-carbon drag system that provides various drag settings. It’s the smoothest drag performance of Shimano ever.
The Sedona FI also sports the G-Free Body tech created to shift the center of gravity of the reel close to the rod. This results in a significant reduction in hand and wrist fatigue among users and an enhanced casting comfort.
Another cool feature is the HAGANE Gear which is at the heart of this spinning reel. It provides long-lasting smoothness – even pleasure whenever you are using the reel.
This drive gear is what’s responsible for the smoothness, power, strength, and lightness of the reel. Machined gears are a lot less durable, especially under heavy loads.
- coupon, prop65, spinning-reels, walleye18
3. Daiwa BG2500 Spinning Reel
The Daiwa BG2500 is one of our choices when it comes to the best spinning reel under 100 as it’s capable of laying the hurt on various species without having to break the bank.
Daiwa BG reels are high-performing, drawing many anglers from their solid construction. They’re made from advanced tool technology, which is also why it has a smooth drag.
Its drag system is waterproof which is best if you want your gear to last. The point corrections on the DG 2500 are adjustable when you’re to shift your drag to another degree. When you hold it in your hand, you can actually see its value as it feels well-made and solid.
Fishing is similar to fishing with a massive spinning reel without being overly heavy for anyone to carry. It’s sturdy and heavy-duty allowing you to use it for all kinds of water conditions.
- Black Anodized Machined Aluminum Housing (“Hard Bodyz” Body & Side Cover), Over-sized Digigear (Digigear System)
- Solid Screw-In Handle, Air Rotor, Dynamic Cut Aluminum ABS Spool
- Braided Line Ready Spool, Waterproof Drag System, Carbon ATD, Line Per Handle Turn: 33.2″
- Manual Return Bail (4500 and Larger), 6BB+1RB, Gear Ratio: 5.6:1, Drag Max:13.2
- Line Capacity (Lb. Test / Yards): 6/210, 8/170, 10/140 J-BRAID: 15/190, 20/170, 30/120
4. Pflueger President Fishing Reel
The balance in a fishing reel is what determines how it’s applicable in various weather conditions, and it’s exactly what the Pflueger President is known for.
The metal body of this spinning reel which has carbon enamel washers doesn’t just give it a distinct appearance, it also makes it among the most balanced and best performing reels on the market.
In freshwater, Pflueger President can cast approximately 185 yards even with poor weather. However, this reel isn’t designed for massive fish in terms of drag as the maximum weight is 8 lbs.
Still, it features a smooth gear function. It has excellent reversing functionality with a roller bearing which helps greatly with anti-reversing.
- PERFORMANCE MEETS VALUE: Pflueger President spinning reels combine smooth operation with a price that won’t break the bank. With a balanced mix of performance, quality, and value, this reel is “The Smart Choice.”
- SIZE 30 SPINNING REEL: Features a graphite body and rotor for lightweight, corrosion-resistant fishing reels. The aluminum handle and soft touch rubber knob are suitable for Right/Left handed anglers.
- RECOVER 25.3″ | 64cm for every turn of the crank. Slow oscillation gearing provides a tight line lay for improved casting and control. Gear ratio of 5.2:1. Features an Aluminum spool.
- SEALED OIL FELT FRONT DRAG with a max drag of 10lb to help tire out the fish, so you can reel in the catch. The 10 ball bearing system plus Instant Anti-Reverse ensures smooth operation for any fishing experience.
- LINE CAPACITY: Mono Capacity yd/lb: 255/4 145/6 130/8 for optimal casting distance and accuracy.
5. Revo X Abu Garcia
The Revo X of Abu Garcia is a spinning reel that’s loaded with durable and attractive features that all anglers love. It comes with 7 bearings: 1 roller and 6 stainless balls.
What sets it apart from the competition is its IM-C6 body construction paired with a massive PVC knob, aluminum braid ready spool, and the hybrid carbon matrix drag system of the company which offers smooth, reliable drag. It’s a good choice if you want to fight angry bass.
Additionally, it has a lightweight graphite rotor and a line management system which will reduce line tangles. It’s definitely one of the best around. It sets the bar high, most especially for low-profile spinning reels.
- PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION: The Abu Garcia Revo X Spinning Reel is made with an IM-C6 (Insert molded C6) body, a machined aluminum braid ready spool and a stainless steel shaft and components. This Spinning reel is both strong and lightweight at 7.5 oz.
- RECOVERY RATE: Recover 30” | 76cm of line for every turn of the crank. Gear ratio of 6.2:1. Made with a lightweight graphite rotor. Everlast bail system ensures improved durability with each cast of the line.
- 7 TOTAL BEARINGS: 6 stainless steel HPCR ball bearings plus 1 instant anti-reverse bearing provides smooth operation for any fishing experience. These High Performance Corrosion Resistant bearings will help extend the life of your reel.
- DRAG SPECS: Carbon Fiber Front Drag, Max: 10lb | 4.5kg. The Carbon Matrix hybrid drag system provides smooth, consistent drag pressure across the entire drag range. Mono Capacity yd/lb: 140/4 110/6 80/8. Braid Capacity 150/6.
- SERIOUS LINE PERFORMANCE: Rocket Line Management system extends casting distance while the Rocket Spool Lip Design increases accuracy. Right/Left handle position is made with ergonomically designed large EVA knobs for all-day comfort.
6. Penn Pursuit III
Another product that is considered the best spinning reel under 100 is Penn Pursuit III. This spinning reel offers high value for your money.
It’s durable, plus it has a high-end drag system. PENN’s HT-100 drag system has been incorporated into the product. As it has a graphite body construction, it is corrosion resistant and incredibly lightweight.
What’s more, it features the company’s anti-reverse system which eliminates any potential back play. As a result, you get solid and instant hookups. Its retrieve is smooth from the four shielded ball bearings.
- Superline spool
- Ht-100 carbon fiber drag washers
- 4 plus 1 stainless-steel bearing System
7. Okuma Epixor XT
Okuma Epixor XT is among the most durable and reliable spinning reels for the $100 price point. The reel was made with the company’s TCA technology which allows it to provide strength and power.
Its features are all targeted to offer maximum stability. It’s also capable of eliminating stem twisting while helping keep the gear properly aligned when it’s under a heavy load.
This is a favorite among those who are looking for the best spinning reel under 100 as it has a rotor and graphite body that can withstand corrosion.
All these are perfect for anglers who are eyeing fresh and saltwater fishing expeditions. Other features you’ll love are its torsion control armor, centrifugal disc bail, and progressive drag.
- Tca: torsion control Armor reduces twisting
- Multi-disc, Japanese oiled felt drag washers
- 7Bb+1rb stainless steel bearings
8. KastKing Sharky III
The triple disk drag of KastKing Sharky III makes the line move smoothly. When going for aggressive fish, the drag allows the coil to be flexible, preventing breakage issues.
It also has a gear drive that’s resistant to corrosion due to the low friction polymer coating. It’s a reel you can use for years without having to deal with corrosion. But, the selling point of the KastKing Sharky III is really its power. It catches heavy, muscular fish even up to 40 lbs.
It’s the pinion gears that are made of manganese brass that offer extra muscle for hunting large fish with great strength and efficiency.
As for its ball bearings, it has 10 double-shielded ball bearings that offer a buttery smooth fishing experience. It’s able to increase fishing efficiency. Certainly something you’d want from the best spinning reel under 100.
- NEXT-GEN – The brand new design KastKing Sharky III spinning reels are built tough to land trophy fish in all fishing conditions. Sharky III are superb lightweight fishing reels built with a high percentage fiber reinforced graphite body and rotor!
- PURE POWER – You will love Sharky III spinning reel’s amazing best-in-class up to 39.5LBs / 18KG of smooth, reliable triple disc carbon fiber drag, oversized stainless-steel main shaft, and stronger precision mesh manganese brass pinion gears for more fishing muscle.
- K.I.S.S. – Sharky III spinning reels are sealed with a KISS! Sharky III has a unique protection water resistant design for its spool, body, and rotor – K.I.S.S. (KastKing Intrusion Shield System). It helps keep water and dirt out.
- SUPER SMOOTH – You’ll be blown away by the quiet, silky smooth retrieve of the Sharky III. Plus, with the unique Shark Fin Braid Ready aluminum spool, you no longer need to use backing line when spooling on braid fishing line.
- AFFORDABLE INNOVATION – Sharky III spinning reel is loaded with features, including 10 + 1 high quality, saltwater rated double shielded stainless steel ball bearings, instant lock anti-reverse, stainless steel hardware, aluminum handle, and more line capacity than other brands. It is the best all-around spinning reel for every angler.
How to Pick the Best Spinning Reel Under 100
Also referred to as an open face reel, a spinning reel is a great choice, most especially for beginners as it’s easier to use thanks to its design. It’s also less likely to tangle in your fishing line.
This particular reel type has 8 main parts: handle, body, foot, anti-reverse switch, spool release/drag adjustment, line spool, and the line roller.
There are certain factors that you need to take into consideration when choosing a good cheap spinning reel that’s related to each of these spinning reel parts.
Body and Weight
The housing or bodies of some of the best freshwater spinning reel under $100 are made of aluminum or graphite. It can also be a mix of both materials.
Aluminum is the much stronger option, plus it exhibits less flex. But, if what you want is something that’s lightweight, then you should choose a spinning reel made of graphite. Deciding whether weight or strength is what’s more important to you will ultimately depend on your personal preference.
A best value spinning reel that’s specifically for freshwater applications usually has an aluminum body. If, however, your playing field of choice is saltwater, then graphite is certainly the better choice for you as it has corrosion-resistant qualities.
Another important factor that you should look for related to the reel body is solid construction. There shouldn’t be any flimsy or loose parts, and all the moving parts must be smooth as they perform.
What you don’t want is some type of back play. Also, a spinning reel has more parts compared to other reels like casting reels. For this reason, you would want to ensure it’s solid and well-made.
Weight is the other key factor for deciding on the reel and it’s for a simple reason: fatigue. Strain is significantly less, most especially on the forearm and wrist when dealing with lighter reels.
For those who are spending a good amount of time out on the water, the weight is even more crucial in terms of stress and fatigue on the joints. This means the best cheap spinning reel for you will depend on how strong you are.
Spinning Reel Size
Selecting the right spinning reel size is as simple as determining the size of the fishing line that you use. If you use a lighter fishing line most often, then purchase a smaller spinning reel.
A 10-lb test line must be the maximum strength and diameter that’s used on spinning reels (not applicable for heavy trolling or saltwater fishing).
For instance, if you’re primarily fishing for walleye and smallmouth bass, then an 8-lb test fishing line is probably your average line strength. In such a case, choosing the medium size spinning reel rated for a 6, 8, as well as 10-lb line would be best.
To make sure the reel you’re getting is rated for the specific pound test line that you plan on using, review the line capacity details that are found on the reel’s spool.
As you’re shopping online, check the product chart. It’s typically where you’ll find information regarding middle line capacity. If it says 6 lbs or 90 yards, then it’s suitable for a 4 and 8-lb line.
Reel Gear Ratio
The best spinning reels under 100 come in various sizes. Make sure that you select the product that’s suitable to the line size that you plan on using often.
Unlike casting reels that have rotating spools, a spinning reel’s spool is fixed. A bail wraps your fishing line to the spool as the handle is turned. So, when talking about spinning reels, the gear ratio pertains to the specific number of times a bail rotates around a spool in just one turn of the handle.
For instance, for a reel that has a gear ratio of 4:1, a bail rotates around a spool 4x per turn of the reel’s handle. A gear ratio of 4:1 is considered as a slow-speed spinning reel as a little line has been ”œpicked up” with the cranking process, which is four wraps of fishing line around a spool for every crank.
But, it also has its use. It provides more torque required in reeling in massive fish. With a gear ratio of 6:1, it’s considered as high-speed retrieve as it picks up a longer line from one crank. The right speed retrieve option for you will depend on the specific style of fishing that you want to do.
If you’re only going to get one spinning reel, we suggest you go for the medium speed model or 5:1 ratio. But, if you’re able to afford more, then add low and high-speed reels to your arsenal as this will let you cover all situations you will encounter.
A spinning wheel’s drag system is responsible for the application of the right amount of pressure to fish. It lets out the line during a fight. If you don’t have a high-quality, smooth drag system, you risk having broken lines or even losing fish.
Always make sure that the best spinning reel under 100 you get has a smooth and non-constrictive drag. Your line should be able to pull out steadily and without hesitation at whichever tension you’ve set the drag.
There are two different kinds of drag systems that are available for spinning reels: the front and the rear drag. This refers to where the drag controls are located, but there are additional differences among these two styles.
The front drag system generally features several large drag washers which allow for excellent performance and increased durability compared to the rear drag models. The rear drag controls can be much easier to access; however, they don’t stand up well to massive and aggressive fish.
Improvements are made continually within the industry and the creation of the sealed drag system is an innovation worth mentioning. Exposure to elements compromises a drag system and its inner gearing’s integrity. This leads to mechanical issues and drag slippage over time.
These issues are no longer a problem with the sealed drag system. Waterproof or sealed drag systems can ensure your spinning reel continues to operate smoothly and with durability and added drag power even with years of use.
The best budget spinning reel reigns supreme for finesse techniques and lighter line applications like jigging for smallmouth bass or walleye.
The best spinning reel under 100 features ball bearings that are placed within the reel body for support, smoothness, and stability.
The majority of spinning reels also have roller bearings within line rollers. In general, the more bearings a reel has, the smoother the product performs. A sealed stainless-steel bearing is preferable for more control and added durability.
Choose a spinning reel that has lots of ball bearings ”“ as many ball bearings as your budget allows! The bare minimum should be four ball bearings. There’s nothing worth more than getting a spinning reel that does not even perform well or is not able to provide a smooth retrieve.
Try not to save and scrimp with this part of the spinning reel equation. If you do, you’ll only disappoint yourself to the point that you’d want to go back home instead.
Spools that are flat and wide allow for faster retrieves, longer casts, increased line pickup, and reduced line twists.
The spool on the best spinning reel under 100 plays a crucial part in holding line, smoothness, and casting distance. Most spools you can find today are made of either graphite or anodized aluminum. As mentioned before, aluminum offers more rigidity and strength under pressure. Graphite, on the other hand, is lighter.
There are two basic spool styles: skirted or internal. An internal spool is what most consider as outdated. But, there are still manufacturers today that make good, reliable models for those who are die-hard devotees.
Among the major cons of internal spools would be how easy a line can become entangled in the reel housing. As for the skirted spool, it helps alleviate this frustrating issue. That is why this particular style has prevailed.
There’s a popular variation of skirted spools referred to as long cast spools. They feature a very interesting design. As its name suggests, a long cast spool is much shallower compared to the regular style but it is longer in length.
The elongated spool allows for lesser line friction, which results in an increased casting distance ”“ a welcomed feature for anglers that fish in clear waters or for sight fishing applications.
The anti-reverse handles of spinning reels are a prerequisite as you’re looking for the perfect product. This particular function is what prevents a handle from spinning backward so the hook sets are more accurate and powerful.
While we’re talking about handles, make sure that your fishing reel has a bigger arm and knob. Larger stature lets an angler find the handle quickly.
It allows you to have a firmer grip as well, with less chance of slipping, most especially when your hands become sweaty or during wet weather.
To wrap up this comprehensive guide on the best and cheapest spinning reels, remember that a god reel will be your ultimate best friend in any fishing adventure.
If you’re still undecided as the products we’ve featured earlier are all great in their own right, we suggest you give PENN Battle Spinning Fishing Reel a shot.
Not only does it have more than enough stainless-steel ball and roller bearings, but it also has a full metal body and an extra 20 percent drag.
Its retrieve is smooth, plus its line capacity ring is quite large. Give it a try and let us know if you loved it as much as we did!