Taking out your boat and spending an afternoon fishing in the ocean, lake, or river could be the best way to spend your time when you’re not at work. To make your fishing trip successful, you need to make sure you have the right equipment with you, including the best trolling motor batteries you can find.
If you’re in the market for new trolling batteries, it can be challenging to find the best models on the market, let alone the ones that are right for your individual needs.
If you’re looking to learn more about the various factors that influence which motor batteries are best, continue reading this buyer’s guide to help you make an informed decision on what to buy.
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website.
Learn more about our Amazon affiliate program
Table of Contents
Best Trolling Motor Battery on a Budget
This is a comprehensive guide about trolling motor batteries. We researched all of them and rated them based on user experience, dependability, performance, and value for money.
And we didn’t stop there ”“ we also highlighted our top picks. Read on to discover which motor batteries you should go for and why!
1. Universal Power Group AGM SLA VRLA Battery
The Universal Power Group Battery is an excellent option for a spot lock trolling motor because it’s a multipurpose battery that can be used for a variety of outdoor activities. Trolling motors of any size can be powered by the battery’s 100Ah capacity. Longer runtimes are still possible even with high-performance motors.
The Ah rating is 100Ah, so it’s pretty powerful. As a result, you can stay in the water for longer periods of time before needing to recharge.
Its massive Ampere Hour rating could be the cause of its size and weight. This model is 60 pounds and has dimensions of 16.4 x 12.8 x 12.6 inches. To power your bike and other appliances, simply connect two 12-volt batteries in series.
You should know that this battery requires no upkeep. As a result, adding distilled water will save you both money and time. In addition, because the encasement is spill-proof, you can put it anywhere you want. The hard and durable plastic case of this battery makes it shock and vibration-resistant.
- UB121000 SLA is a 12V 100AH Group 30H Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) Maintenance Free Rechargeable Battery, UL Listed
- The spill-proof SLA/AGM battery features high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long life and deep discharge recovery.
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shock and vibration. Long lasting high performance in high and low temperatures.
- UPG #45978 UB121000
2. Interstate Trolling Motor Battery
The Sealed Lead Acid Deep Cycle Battery is an ideal choice if you’re looking for the best marine battery for trolling motor under $100. This product is well-equipped to meet your power requirements on a regular basis.
This is also one of the best trolling motor batteries from Interstate because of its excellent performance. The 35-amp-hour rating ensures that you will have power to troll for a long time without running out of juice. Because of Interstate’s well-known reputation for recharging efficiency and long life, this one will see plenty of use. It’s the best trolling motor marine battery for this reason alone.
Using AGM to prevent overpressurization, the Interstate sealed lead acid battery has no spills or leaks while also being long-lasting and low maintenance. In terms of size and weight, this is the best marine trolling motor battery for kayaks and small boats that feature fishing chairs.
The 35Ah trolling motor battery weighs less and is more compact than many of the others on this list. It has a lot of punch and is a solid performer. Because the container’s walls are thick, vibrations have a difficult time penetrating them. It allows you to run your trolling motor while also charging your phone. So, if you’re looking for a low-cost, long-lasting rechargeable trolling motor battery, this is the one for you.
- DEEP CYCLE MOBILITY BATTERY: Interstate Batteries DCM0035 professional-grade, high-quality battery developed specifically for electric wheelchair’s, electric scooter’s and more. Longer life & more cycles for deep discharge usage – Interstate’s DCM batteries rated as the best performer for heavy-demand deep-cycle batteries, making them Outrageously Dependable
- DCM0035 BATTERY REPLACEMENTS: Download the Compatibility Guide below under Product Guides & Documents to see some devices this battery powers. ABEC WHEELCHAIRS, BEST TECHNOLOGIES, BURKE, DAMACO WHEELCHAIR, ELECTRIC SCOOTERS, EVEREST JENNINGS, EXIDE, EXPERT POWER, GOLDEN TECHNOLOGY, HOMELITE, HOVEROUND, INVACARE, JAZZY, KUBOTA, LEISURE LIFT, MERITS HEALTH, MIGHTY MAX ML35, ODYSSEY, OPTIMA, ORTHO KINETICS, PACE SAVER, PRIDE MOBILITY, RANGER, SONNENSCHEIN, UNIVERSAL POWER GROUP, WEIZE & more
- RECHARGEABLE, MAINTENANCE-FREE, SPILL-PROOF: Rechargeable, maintenance-free, & spill-proof because of the AGM & VRLA technology (valve regulated) that eliminates spills & overpressure. 12 Volt, 35 Amp hours. 7.68” x 5.16” x 6.42” (LxWxH). Industry size Group U1 or GT9L. Insert terminal with bolt, replaces FLAG TY. This battery is not a replacement for Golf Cart batteries
- HIGH-QUALITY, HIGH-PERFORMANCE BATTERY: No other brand puts their products through more rigorous testing than Interstate Batteries 7-Point Quality Protocol. We don’t meet industry standards – we exceed them & back our products with an unmatched warranty. 12-Month Performance Warranty (DCM0035) – please contact Interstate Batteries directly on Amazon for questions
- MOST TRUSTWORTHY POWER SOURCE: For 70+ years, Interstate Batteries purpose has been to deliver the most Outrageously Dependable source of power to the world. Our customers come first, so we strive to create a positive experience for all. We recycle more batteries than we sell – please return to an Interstate All Battery Center near you so we can continue recycling
3. ExpertPower 12v 33ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
ExpertPower makes some of the best AGM batteries in the marine industry, and its deep cycle batteries are no exception. These batteries have an excellent lifespan and can withstand loads of power applications.
They also have very low discharge rates over time which means they will last longer than other deep cycle batteries on the market today. The power density of these AGM batteries is higher than other types of marine batteries available on the market today which makes them ideal for use in smaller boats where space is limited.
These ExpertPower sealed lead acid batteries are designed to be leak proof. The built-in equalizing charge controller protects against overcharging and prolongs battery life.
The plates are made of 99% pure lead that gives longer cycle life, a much lower self-discharge rate, much less water consumption than other batteries for trolling motors, and much more capacity than AGM batteries at low temperature.
- Genuine ExpertPower Battery – The Most Trusted And Highest Reviewed Sealed Lead Acid Batteries On Amazon
- Battery Type – 12 Volt 33Amp/10 Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- Quality Assurance – Crafted Wtih A Rugged Construction, Our SLA Batteries Are Ultra Durable And Utilize Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology Which Provides A Wide Temperature Range.
- User Friendly – Easy, One-Time Installation Of Our Maintenance Free and Valve Regulated Batteries Will Get Your System Or Application Running In No Time At All.
4. Optima Deep Cycle Marine Battery
Optima is a global leader in the manufacture of top rated trolling motor batteries. The 8016-103 D34M Blue Top is a standout model in the series. We learned from our investigation that Optima’s batteries come in a variety of colors. This demonstrates their function, purpose, and mode of application. This particular model has a blue top and a light gray body, indicating that it’s a multi-purpose battery.
A trolling motor battery should be powerful, long-lasting, and dependable. The Optima AGM marine battery meets all of these criteria and more. Both as a starter and deep-cycle battery, it’s versatile and powerful enough for a day of fishing. Furthermore, it has a high level of vibration resistance.
Trolling batteries such as the Optima Bluetop AGM are some of the best on the market. It’s compatible with trolling motors that use deep-cycle batteries and is rated at 55 amp-hours. The 120-minute reserve capacity of this top-rated trolling motor battery ensures consistent performance. It has a cold-cranking amp rating of 750 when used as a starting battery.
For the best performance and longevity in trolling batteries, look no further than Optima AGM marine batteries. They’re also leak-proof and low-maintenance. There are no restrictions on where you can mount the D34M AGM trolling motor battery, as it measures 10 x 6.88 x 7.8 inches. Optima Bluetop marine batteries are among the best trolling motor batteries on the market today.
- 12-Volt, 750 Cold Cranking Amps, Size: 10 inches x 6 7/8 inches x 7 13/16 inches tall, Weight: 43.5 pounds, Dual SAE & 5/16 inches Stainless Steel Stud Posts. 55 Ah C20 capacity
- Optimal starting power even in bad weather
- Mountable in virtually any position. Works well as a boat battery or RV battery
- Fifteen times more resistant to vibration for durability
- Reserve capacity of 120 minutes for constant performance
5. Mighty MaxBattery for Solar Wind
Are you in the market for the best deep cycle battery? Then look no further than Mighty Max battery. This particular deep cycle battery, by Mighty Max, comes with an impressive 6-month manufacturer’s warranty, so you can rest assured knowing that it will be of superior quality and reliability, keeping your devices fully powered up during emergencies or blackouts.
The battery itself is approximately 10 pounds in weight, giving it an impressively small footprint that makes it ideal if you need to fit it into tight spaces on boats or RVs.
This battery combines exceptional durability and performance without being too pricey. It’s a powerful 100Ah battery that allows you to run your pontoon boat trolling motor for an entire day. The battery provides adequate power for most fishing trips. When operated at modest speeds, the battery can provide up to 12 hours of continuous fishing. Additionally, it works well with different motors ranging in power from 30 to 60 pounds.
When set at medium power, the motor lasts approximately six to seven hours, while the highest speed setting lasts up to two and a half hours. However, this battery weighs 63.9 pounds and occupies a significant amount of area, potentially adding significant weight and space to your vessel. The Might Max 12V 100AH Battery provides higher performance and endurance while also safeguarding against leaks.
- ML100-12 SLA is a 12V 100AH group 30H Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery – UL Certified
- Dimensions: 12.09 inches x 6.65 inches x 8.48 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws only. No wire harness or mounting accessories included.
- SLA / AGM spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating temperatures, long service life and deep discharge recover.
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration. Long lasting high performance in high and low temperatures.
- Backed by a 30 day refund policy and full 1 year warranty.
6. Odyssey Thunder Marine Dual Purpose Battery
The Odyssey Dual Purpose Battery is designed to power trolling motors up to 1,500 watts for extended periods of time without having to worry about running out of juice. It’s made using high-quality materials including ABS plastic housing, nickel-plated terminals, and AGM technology so it can withstand even the toughest environments. These batteries are both heavy-duty and long-lasting – perfect for any fisherman who needs dependable performance on their boat!
This Odyssey battery is perfect for marine applications where reliability and safety are essential requirements. It features six-volt cells providing longer run times than most comparable batteries on the market today. This heavy-duty marine battery provides both deep cycle capabilities as well as cranking power, which makes it ideal for trolling motors, fishing boats, sailboats, or any other application requiring superior starting power plus long life backup capacity.
Additionally, the cranking battery features tin-coated brass terminals, a high-integrity terminal seal, and strong internal cell connections to minimize vibration damage.
The Odyssey 34M-PC1500ST container contains 15% more surface area than other Spiral Cell batteries of comparable size. By eliminating the dead area between the cylinders in 6-pack configurations, the battery generates 40% more power and reserve capacity. It comes fully charged so it can be used right out of the box. It also offers two years warranty against defects in materials and workmanship when purchased through an authorized Odyssey dealer.
- Cold Crank Amp (CCA)- 880; Better : Limited 3 and 4 year full replacement – not pro rata; Longer service life: 3-10 years of service life; save consumers time, money and aggravation; Longer cycle life
- Longer shelf life: Can be stored on open circuit without the need for recharging up to 2 years or 12. 00V, whichever occurs first; Recharge: Highest recharge efficiency of any sealed lead battery on the market
- Vibration resistance- design protects against high impact shock and mechanical vibration; Extreme temperature tolerant- Operating temperatures from -40degree Celsius (-40 degree Fahrenheit) to 80 degree Celsius (176 degree Fahrenheit)
- Totally maintenance free: No need to add water, ever Improved safety- US Department of Transportation classified as a non-spill able battery; No acid spills, no escaping gases; Totally dry AGM design with Resealable venting system
7. Trojan T31-AGM 12V Deep Cycle AGM Battery
If you’re looking for a simple trolling motor battery, the Trojan T31-AGM will suffice. The Trojan T31 is a simple battery to maintain and can operate at full power for several hours.
Trojan, like every other fully tested battery we’ve reviewed, utilizes an AGM body design. This construction gives the necessary durability to keep it in place during vibrations and aids in the prevention of shocks. The battery has a capacity of 100Ah and 177 minutes of reserve power, which means it will last for a while before needing to be recharged. The terminals are properly spaced to facilitate external connections and maintenance.
The combination of a robust plastic body and a strong handle ensures simple mobility. When used properly, the battery can last up to 8 years. Recharging the battery is simple and takes little time.
It’s suitable for use as a starting battery, a dual-purpose battery, or a deep-cycle battery. Due to the fact that 720 Amps MCA is a rather low figure for a 100 Ah battery, this battery should be utilized for applications requiring low current.
- 2 Year Warranty.
- Replacement for the following: Trojan T-1275 and all other 12 volt deep cycle batteries.
- Voltage: 12 volts. Capacity: 135Ah. Weight: 88 lbs. Chemistry: Lead Acid.
- BCI Group: GC12. Terminals: SAE Automotive Post and Threaded Stud. Usage: Deep Cycle Applications (Floor Scrubber, Golf Cart, Marine, RV).
- The PowerStar 12V golf cart battery are built to deliver superior performance, durability and reliability. These batteries are designed to meet the challenges of the toughest, hilliest courses in the world.
8. Vmaxtanks Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
The Vmaxtanks Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery is unique in terms of design and performance. This variant is advantageous if you need to propel a huge vessel.
It’s constructed of lead-tin alloys to offer the additional power required to push the boat through the water. It can run for up to 10 hours, although this is dependent on the size of your engine and the quantity of power consumed by the battery. The battery is simple to start and comes with no issues.
As one of the most compact and best trolling motor batteries, the Vmaxtanks Rechargeable Deep Cycle is equipped with a 25-pound AGM body. Nonetheless, these few pounds contribute little to the total weight. It utilizes 35AH, which is critical for balancing your boat in the water.
It is constructed with terminals for connections that are evenly spaced to allow for easy cleaning. The battery’s body is robust, which means you won’t have to worry about damage when transporting it.
- 12 Volt 125Ah Group 31 AGM Deep Cycle Heavy Duty Battery
- Military grade custom made plates
- Float service life span of 8 to 10 years
- Designed for 99% recombination capabilities; no dangerous fumes or gases.
How to Pick the Best Trolling Motor Batteries
There’s no denying that with motor batteries, we’re all different. Everything from how often you fish and your budget to the size of your boat will influence which option is ideal for you.
The following purchase advice will help you choose the greatest trolling motor battery in no time at all.
The majority of batteries you’ll find are 12V, which is understandable.
As a result, the same voltage will be used to power both the onboard electronics and the motors. However, if the motor is 24V, you’ll need a pair of 12V batteries to ensure you have enough juice.
Unless it’s a high-end model, the motor will most likely be a 12V model. For this reason, most batteries used to power trolling motors will work well with your boat.
It should go without saying that the best motor batteries should serve you for as long as possible. Keep in mind that long-lasting batteries perform better.
So, be on the lookout for characteristics that emphasize a battery’s long life. The case of AGM batteries, for example, is completely airtight. As a result, they are less vulnerable to leaks, damage, and other issues caused by shock or vibration.
AGM batteries, on the other hand, are higher cost than their wet cell equivalents. In the end, improved toughness comes at a price. Investing a little more now will save you money in the long run thanks to a better battery.
The performance of a trolling motor battery varies substantially from one to the next. A wet cell battery, for example, has the shortest lifespan of up to two years when maintained properly.
AGM batteries, on the other hand, can last up to 5 or 6 years, depending on the quality. Lithium-ion batteries, on the other hand, have a lifespan of up to 10 years. Remember that living a longer life means paying a higher price.
Try to imagine how often you need to recharge your battery. Fast charging is a must-have if you use your trolling motor a lot because it opens up new opportunities and reduces waiting time.
As a result, the best option is to use AGM batteries. They add another degree of convenience by charging up to 90% in about an hour.
Repair and Upkeep
A certain amount of maintenance is required for wet cell batteries on a regular basis. Once they are refilled, keep an eye out for corrosive symptoms and clean as necessary.
Corrosion removal is a cinch when baking soda and water are combined in the ideal ratio. To be fair, this is more of a pain than the battery is worth in this instance.
But keep in mind that wet cell batteries are quite inexpensive. As a result, people looking to save money may find that performing modest maintenance is worth it. Lithium-ion and AGM batteries, on the other hand, require no upkeep.
You don’t have to check the battery’s water level or inside for damage. They’re more expensive than wet cell rivals, but they require no upkeep.
The weight of the trolling motor battery has an impact on its overall performance, as does its size. As a result, be certain it isn’t very heavy for your boat. You’ll notice a significant increase in battery drain when you approach the weight limit of your boat.
If your battery is nearing its maximum capacity, you’re better off switching to a smaller, lighter battery. A bigger battery isn’t a concern for many fishermen with braided fishing lines because they aren’t hauling around much weight. Batteries are typically 25 to 30 pounds in weight. Kayak users should stick to weights under 30 pounds.
Make sure the battery is not too bulky in case you’re utilizing a small vessel; otherwise, it may reduce the battery’s efficiency. A bigger battery will provide superior performance if your vehicle has a large weight capacity.
Additionally, if you need to carry the battery between the vessel and the dock on a regular basis, a smaller, lighter choice is preferable. Weight isn’t an issue if it’s firmly attached to the vessel; otherwise, you have to move it.
Size of Your Boat
What size battery for trolling motor? Before making a hasty purchase, consider the battery’s size to be sure it will work well on your boat.
Is your yacht, for example, big enough to accommodate greater batteries? If space is an issue, be sure to choose a small trolling motor battery that will fit in the boat’s cargo area.
In the event that your boat is larger, a larger battery will be ideal. When a vessel is heavier, more power is used up in a shorter period of time.
As a result, larger boats benefit from a larger battery. If space permits, you can increase the size of your trolling motor battery.
As a result, the engine has a better chance of staying powered up for longer. Instead of being concerned about the battery dying quickly, you can enjoy it to the fullest.
It’s never fun to have to call it a day because your trolling motor battery died in the middle of your outing.
As a result, batteries today are better than ever before, with improved performance, fewer maintenance requirements, and a host of other advantages.
All the products we have covered in this review provide excellent performance but we highly recommend the Universal Power Group Battery as one of the best trolling motor batteries available today.
It combines all the key factors you need in a good AGM trolling motor battery including voltage, size, and solid durable construction.