Buzzbait is one of the most traditionally popular baits for topwater. It’s used by bass fishing enthusiasts all year round to effectively reel and catch fantastic bass specimens simply by dragging them across the topwater. It’s something that is fun to use but needs a little practice before one can master it. But once the skill has been practiced, and new anglers understand exactly how to fish a buzzbait, there’s nothing quite like the experience.
If you’re a new angler or you’re simply refreshing the steps in your mind, look no further! Let’s explore buzz bait fishing together!
We may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you when you buy through links on our website.
Learn more about our Amazon affiliate program
How Does Buzzbait Fishing Work
You need to make the right preparations before your fishing trip, and understand exactly how to use a buzzbait.
Many people wonder what exactly a buzzbait is. Buzzbait is a lure that you can use to draw out catch such as bass from areas of dense cover. You can use it effectively in both clear and murky water, which makes it a highly versatile lure to use.
As mentioned before, buzzbait is topwater bait, like a downrigger setup works, that’s known particularly for the way they strike the surface of the water.
Their manner of doing so is highly attractive to the nearby fish in the water as this bait is known to have the ability to be heard, and seen, and even felt through the vibrations in the manner of its movement.
Thus, buzzbait is capable and highly equipped to handle the luring of larger and smaller-sized catch.
Choosing the Right Buzzbait
So that you can understand how to fish a buzzbait, it’s a good idea to evaluate the type of buzzbait you take up. This depends primarily on the type of fishing that you intend to do.
- Using a Trailer Hook Buzzbait: If you’re going fishing in an area of less dense vegetation, it’s a great idea to take up the use of a trailer hook. The extra hook will definitely help increase your chances of snagging a fish to your line without going bad.
- Get the Ideal Colors: Buzzbaits are available in a variety of different colors, so make sure you get the one that’s most suited to where you want to fish. In clearer water, fish are generally able to see better, thus even the slightest change in color would make them very suspicious.
- Choose the Perfect Blade: Where basic buzzbaits spin on the water surface, they are capable of attracting nearby fish. Other buzzbaits have the ability to leave a trail of bubbles in their wake, resembling a thrashing prey for nearby fish.
There are still other options for buzzbaits where they are able to make unique noises or even flash a little light. These features may be helpful for fishing in more stained waters.
Steps on How to Fish a Buzzbait
Buzzbait fishing is an exciting skill to have. Though expert fishermen and anglers tend to have their own style of fishing a buzzbait, the general principles of knowing how to use a buzzbait remain essentially the same.
- Cast It Out: Buzz bait fishing is not as complicated as you may think. You simply have to cast it successfully onto the water and begin a speedy reprieve in order to make the blade move. Activating the blade is what makes buzzbait so appealing to nearby catch.
- Change Speeds of Retrieve: By speeding up and then slowing down the blade, the buzzbait would resemble prey, making it an attractive target. You can even change the movements and directions of the buzzbait.
- Remain Alert: One of the vital things to consider is how many fish tend to nibble at the bait, instead of swallowing it whole. You have to remain on your feet in order to ensure you don’t miss a bite.
Moreover, to facilitate this process, many professionals recommend the use of a trailer hook to help them snag more fish.
Tips to Keep in Mind While Using Buzzbait
There are several things that can allow an increase in the chances for you to catch a fish using a bait lure, especially if you’re wondering how to fish a buzzbait for bass.
- Go Fishing at Night Time: Nighttime fishing has its particular charm, especially when it comes to buzzbait fishing. Generally, bass at nighttime feel more secure, and are more likely to be tempted to bite at the lure. Moreover, many buzzbait options are designed to be super attractive in darker waters.
- Fish in All Seasons: There’s a common misconception that buzzbait fishing can only be done in the summer. This is incorrect, as there have been many spectacular bass caught using buzzbaits in the seasons of fall and spring as well so you should definitely consider this.
- Fishing When Windy: Often the strength of wind makes for imperfect casting. If you want to know how to fish a mini buzzbait, you need to be able to understand how to deal with strong winds to ensure a perfect cast every time. Many skilled anglers and fishermen recommend avoiding the use of skirts, as these only just catch in the wind and make things harder.
As you have seen, this type of fishing isn’t that complicated, rather much like many other types of fishing, it requires some skill development, and a great degree of ‘know-how’ in order to be successful.
Buzzbaits are an extremely popular lure to use due to the fact that they are readily available in the markets, in a variety of different options. Knowing how to fish a buzzbait is great, but you also need to make sure that you understand how to pick the right buzzbait keeping in mind the season, and time of day.
Moreover, the location in terms of water conditions and vegetation type also influences the type of buzzbait you choose.
I hope this helps! Happy catching and let us know in the comments if you need anything!
Leave a Reply